United Methodist Women is the largest denominational faith organization for women with approximately 800,000 members whose mission is fostering spiritual growth, developing leaders and advocating for justice.
Members raise up to $20 million each year for programs and projects related to women, children and youth in the United States and in more than 100 countries around the world.
United Methodist Women and The United Methodist Church’s principles and values include:
- Promoting the empowerment of women, children and youth.
- Promoting anti-racism and multiculturalism.
- Promoting inclusion and equity.
- Promoting fair labor practices.
- Promoting economic and environmental stewardship and sustainability.
The Purpose of UMW
The organized unit of United Methodist Women shall be a community of women whose purpose is:
- To know God and to experience freedom as whole persons through Jesus Christ.
- To develop a creative supportive fellowship.
- To expand concepts of mission through participation in the global ministries of the church.
UMW at GUMchurch
UMW is a long standing tradition at GUMchurch. The women of GUMchurch UMW serve a vital role in nurturing women, funding missions projects, and supporting church events.
GUMchurch UMW Circles
Circles are small groups of women who meet together regularly to develop and nurture friendships, support each other in prayer and fellowship, and learn through different book studies and programs.
There are currently 4 circles to choose from:
Lydia Circle meets on the 2nd Tuesday of each month in the morning and is studying the Book of Acts.
Mary and Martha Circle meets on the 1st Monday of each month in the evening and is currently studying Fruit of the Spirit – a look at nurturing the Spirit’s fruit in our lives.
Miriam Circle meets on the 3rd Tuesday of each month at 7:15pm and enjoys a variety of programs and speakers, as well as service projects throughout the year.
Priscilla Circle meets on the 3rd Thursday of each month in the evening and is currently studying In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day – a look at making the most of every situation and circumstance. This Circle also organizes service projects throughout the year.
GUMchurch UMW Missions Projects
Throughout each year the women of GUMchurch UMW generously support a number of projects that include:
- Camp scholarships
- Funding Missionaries from GUMchurch
- Donations to UMCOR (United Methodist Committee on Relief)
- Supporting GUMchurch building maintenance and improvement
- Support of the Grand Rapids District UMW
- Care packages for college students and military personnel who are away from home
Funding for this support comes, in large part, from a number of fundraisers held each year. These fundraisers include:
- Bake sales
- A large churchwide garage sale
- Hosting dinners for various community organizations
- Hosting homes for Parade of Homes